The city of Berlin’s Brandenburg Gate is Germany’s most important landmark. It is situated on Pariser Platz in Dorotheenstadt in the Berlin district of Mitte. The gate was constructed between 1788 to 1791 at the instigation of the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm II by architect Carl Gotthard Langhans. At the time of the Cold War, the Brandenburger Gate formed the border between West and East Berlin – and therefore also the border between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. After 1990, it became a symbol of the reunification of Germany and Europe.